Saturday, December 22, 2012

Happy Solstice and Merry Christmas!


Wishing you all a very merry Holiday Season! I spent yesterday delivering some last minute orders from the Winter Faire. The rug hooked Virgin of Guadalupe went to Kristena who has a wonderful clothing company and also paints and makes dolls. We had a great time visiting at her home and I got to see all the magical things she creates.


This new group of wool kitties were made from gray cashmere and white alpaca. their aprons came from vintage quilts pieces. A Waldorf school teacher needed a few more for Christmas presents so I went to work this week and finished them up.


We managed to get our Christmas tree up last week. Both boys are home now so we had a family outing to pick out our tree at a local farm. The boys got the tree up and I got to decorate it...most of the ornaments are hand made by friends...lots of birds, hearts, cats, owls, santas, and mushrooms!


And just for fun I set up this little branch I found on my walk. I put some little house charms I had made and felt hearts and stuck it in a wooden bowl of perle cotton that sits on our coffee table.


I keep moving it around...here it is near the door nestled in a basket of fabric dolls from friends.


And my friend, Grace asked me to make a "Door of my Heart" piece for her last August. I finally got it hooked and sent off before Christmas. The little door opens and she plans to put a small photo of her and her mother in there. Her husband will be getting a hooked squirrel for Christmas. I hope he likes it!


And I decided to make something for myself! A little needlebook and scissor holder for traveling.


Here it is open. I may put a little piece of fabric to hold the embroidery thread too.
This was pretty quick to make....used a piece of vintage quilt and sewed on a border from trim that I got in France last summer!  So many fond memories of our time there...shopping and looking at all the sights...and bakeries and ice cream! Yum!

Well, back to wrapping some packages for the boys and I need to bake some cookies, too.
Best wishes for some cozy Holiday time to you all!

6 comments:

Jacky said...

Beautiful and festive at your place Mary...love the Madonna with Child and those gorgeous kitties.
I do love that bare twig with the decorations, the mist in the background...looks like winter!!! Any snow yet?

Wishing you a wonder-full Christmas.

Jacky xox

Yael said...

Mary, you have the wonderful playful soul of a happy child! Everything you create is always so rich in bliss and delight!
Wishing you happy festive days ahead and a good and healthy new year! :-)

Mary Stanley said...

Thank you so much for your good wishes!
I do love all my blogger friends!
Hope you all have sweet Holiday memories.!

veronica said...

Hi Mary, Just to say I love your kitties. I am just using my check bias binding we got in France on gifts. I hope you and the others from France have a lovely Christmas. From a very wet and dreary Lancashire, England. Vera.

Pixie said...

...Oh Mary i just the photo of your stick tree with the little houses on, and what a wonderful idea to make a travel pouch, this is definatly something i need to make, my list of ideas for the new year is getting longer, and i think i need to put this one at the top of it.
...Anyway, my dear friend, have a wonderful time, and thank you for being such a wonderful blog friend and for sharing your amazing makes,, your work inspires me so much.
Hugs hugs
Pixie xx

Marie said...

Merry Christmas and Happy Solstice to you! xo
LOVE your Virgin of Guadalupe.
What a sweet Christmas tree...so delightful!
Your travel pouch is sooo cheerful...love it!
Thanks for sharing all your beautiful creations and inspirtation. I am sending big xo and wishes for warm mittens and happy hearts :)
<3